Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Basic Math

Basic math, as I understand it, says that 1 + 1 = 2 and many variations of the same idea. I did not excel in Math and I am very happy to accept that. But the truth is, many times we want to apply Basic Math to our lives, our families, our faith, and our journeys. Im not sure that is a fair application for our own personal growth and life journeys. The Basic Math Life Theory goes something like this,

IF I put 1 Man + 1 Woman, it will equal = Happily ever after. IF I put 1 Career + 1 Ambition, it will = Success. IF I put 1 Broken Past + 1 Wounded Adult, it will = Addiciton.

You're following my line of thinking now, right? So, we live our lives, make our choices, and relate to others on the construction that life follows the rules of Basic Math. But, what if it doesn't? I suppose you could invert each of these Math equations to their opposite.

IF I put 1 Man + 1 Woman, it will equal = Nightmare ever after. IF I put 1 Career + 1 Ambition, it will = Repeat Failures. IF I put 1 Broken Past + 1 Wounded Adult, it will = Wounded Healer.

What if there was a divine calculator that had different Math Rules? What if the way we add up the parts of our life bring us to a surprising discovery? It reminds of the lyrics to a song by a band called 10th Avenue North.
You are more than the choices that you've made,

You are more than the sum of your past mistakes,

You are more than the problems you create,

You've been remade.

How do you see your life in the construction of the Basic Math Life Theory? How could you see it differently if you apply the divine calculator and invert the theory? What unlimited possibilities could your life hold if this new theory applied to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment