Sunday, March 13, 2011

Rest

Stop what you are doing. Take a deep breath in and blow it out slowly. Quiet your mind for just a minute and just be still. If you are an American, you are probably feeling the awkward sensation of something the rest of the world calls REST. We, as Americans, know how to succeed, endure, work, and strive....but rest is something we are far less conditioned in and equipped than the rest of the world. Sadly, it does not serve our souls well.

After living in the UK for 18 months, my body, mind, and spirit fell into the habit and pattern of regular rest. Knowing every six weeks half term was coming seemed to fuel me to be able to stay engaged because I knew that rest was on the way. I believe it had a profound impact on who I am. We have been home in the US for a little over a year, without any significant times of rest, and I am desperately in need of it.

So, tomorrow begins a week long rest and time of creative stimulation, travel, and fun with my family. I have disciplined myself to write extra this week and have scheduled a post for every day that I'm gone. I'm going to be reminding myself of my 5 top strengths, according to Strength Finders and just rest in them for the week. I'm most certain I will come back refreshed and ready to be diligent in continuing this journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment